Tuesday, November 17, 2009

What do you do to an phalaenopsis orchid after it has bloomed for the season and the flowers have fallen off?

I have a beautiful 2 stemmed orchid that kept it's blooms for about 3 1/2 months. The last 3 blooms are getting reasy to fall off and I want to know what you are supposed to do to the stems in order for the orchid to rebloom next season. I have a book on orchids and it says trim the stems but it is VERY vague as to what part of the stem or how much. I lost 3 orchids 3 years ago after I moved into my new home, I bought them to put in the home and bought the boook at the same time. They were beautiful for a long time, but they have not bloomed since the first year I had them. Can anyone help me out? I hate to lose this one, it was not a bit cheap.

What do you do to an phalaenopsis orchid after it has bloomed for the season and the flowers have fallen off?
If the stem is still green and not drying out and turning yellow,


don't cut it off. Keep the bark moist (I usually put mine under


a soft spray of lukewarm water for a couple of minutes)


Give them a bit of orchid food every couple of weeks, if the plant is healthy they sometimes start to develop buds


on the green stems (I had a couple that re bloomed that way)


If the stem does die back , keep maintaining the plant,


they will produce some new leaves and if they are happy, they


will bloom again.


No comments:

Post a Comment